The beauty of taking time for yourself...


Sometimes I think we are much too hard on ourselves, always struggling to keep to this or that plan and always concentrating on making everyone else happy before ourselves. I suffer from it, too, and I can tell when I’ve been too busy or neglected myself a bit too long. Such has been the case recently and it has really come home to me the last couple of weeks.
I have spent so much time on work and worrying about other things lately that I have not paid much attention to the things that make my heart sing. Like enjoying some time alone, or spending time working on one of my many pushed-aside projects. I sat down the other day for a breather and was struck by the thought that the living room needed warming up. I think when I put away all the Christmas decorations, it left things feeling a bit empty.


Thinking I could use some time to do something fun, I decided to do something about it. I indulged myself, taking an entire afternoon to wander the stores, looking for something that might solve my living room dilemma. I fell in love with several pillows and decided to bring them home, realizing, suddenly, that for a woman who loves pillows, I had few in my living room. I also seemed to be out of candles, so I remedied that as well.


And then there was the elephant. Or rather, this metal elephant sculpture. Buying him would be a bit of an indulgence, but when I found myself returning again and again to stare at him, I decided to ignore the price tag and bring him home.



And I am so glad I did. He is an injection of personality and warmth. (I absolutely love elephants; they are simply amazing creatures.) And he goes marvelously in our living room, with all of its metallic accents.
With the elephant (I must name him) having taken up residence near the fireplace, pillows to populate the chairs and sofa and some lovely new candles to light, I indulged in an evening of music and reading and that wonderful feeling you get from the glow of candlelight.
And, I made a promise to do a better job of being good to myself in the future.


Wishing all of you a wonderful week...

I am linking to:

Home and Garden Thursday at A Delightsome Life
Pink Saturday at How Sweet the Sound

Photos by The Art of Living Beautifully

Comments

  1. What a lovely post. I need to take some time to indulge in me! Love your pillows, candles and sweet elephant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That elephant makes quite the statement -- I can see why you went round a few times to look at it and finally buy it. Looks lovely where you have it.

    Your room is so warm and inviting -- a pretty spot in which to relax.

    Wishing you a beautiful weekend...
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful additions to your room! So glad you took some time for yourself!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! Please note that if you don't see your comment immediately, it isn't lost. I have turned off the terrible word verification process, but to cut down on spam, I now have to approve all the comments.