Cookies and cookie jars...


I love to get surprise packages in the mail. There's something delicious about having a package unexpectedly delivered to your front door ~ the wondering of what it could be while you carry the box inside, the little thrill of getting the box open (and the even bigger thrill of finally wrangling whatever goodies were sent you from the reams of ridiculous encasement that everything seems to come packaged in these days) and the wonderful moment when you instantly fall in love with your present.
I was the happy recipient of such a package a couple of weeks ago. Inside was this adorable purse cookie jar. I've never seen one quite like it. Isn't it cute? I thought all of you would enjoy seeing it, and since it is a cookie jar, it seemed fitting to share one of my all-time favorite cookie recipes as a means of celebration. We used to make these when I was a kid growing up, and I still do. One of the great things about them is they're very adaptable to holidays and such because you can always buy seasonal M&M's. Of course, everyday M&M's work just as well. Enjoy.


M&M Cookies

Ingredients:
1 cup shortening
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
2 1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups plain M&M's 

Blend shortening and sugars. Beat in vanilla and eggs. Sift remaining dry ingredients together; add to the sugar and egg mixture. Mix well. Stir in M&M's. (You may reserve some for decorating if you wish, but we always just threw them all in there and sometimes more besides.) Drop from teaspoon onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes, until golden brown. (Note: After baking, some of the candies may be slightly cracked.) 
Makes 5 to 6 dozen cookies, depending on size.


Photos by The Art of Living Beautifully

Comments

  1. What a dear cookie jar. I hadn't thought of M & M cookies for years. They were always a favorite at our house. Be sure to visit my blog for Pink Saturday - you will be the star!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make those M&M cookies too! They are soooooo good!
    I love that cookie jar, I have a cookie jar thing actually. :D
    Lucky you-Grrr!
    ((Hugs))
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! Please note that if you don't see your comment immediately, it isn't lost. I have turned off the terrible word verification process, but to cut down on spam, I now have to approve all the comments.