The beauty of (e)books and magazines...



I have a confession: I'm in love with my new NOOK Color from Barnes & Noble. I am a huge book lover (as my regular readers know), but at first I was quite skeptical of e-readers. It's not just reading I love, it's books ~ I love their beauty, their solidness, flipping through the pages, everything. The Kindle just never appealed to me because it seemed so bland, even though I know lots of people who love it. But then along came the iPad (which I'm saving my pennies for) and suddenly I began to think that reading books and magazines on a tablet might not be so bad or boring after all. My love gave me a NOOK Color for my birthday and six weeks later, I'm hooked. It's easy, useful, fun ~ and everything is beautiful to read on it.
While I'll never give up physical books or magazines completely ~ I just love them too much ~ the NOOK has found a niche in my life. In particular, I'm loving my magazines on it. I had stopped subscribing to several magazines simply because I knew I would end up throwing them away and it seemed like a waste (but if I don't have a clear-out every once in a while, we'd drown in magazines and books). But now, with my NOOK, I can keep my magazines forever without them taking up space. Love it. So now I've got subscriptions to RealSimple, Food Network Magazine and Martha Stewart Living again, all on my NOOK.
I have even bought a couple of cookbooks to see how I liked the experience of reading and using a cookbook on an e-reader, and so far, so good. I purchased one of Giada's cookbooks (which is fabulous, by the way) and Paul Deen's new cookbook. Very easy to read, navigate, everything. I'm quite happy and thinking that I may shift to buying some of my cookbooks on the NOOK, since my cookbook collection is threatening to take over as well.
As I said to a friend of mine, my e-reader is a wonderful enabler: It helps feed my reading habit while also somewhat stemming the tide of physical books and magazines into my home (i.e., fewer clear-outs). Now that is a beautiful thing. 

Comments

  1. Somehow I still love the idea of holding a book, smelling the pages and having something tangable in my hands. I gave my mom a Kindle last year and she loves it. Time marches on and somehow we all survive the changes.
    I too have Giada's cookbook and love it.
    Thank you so much for stopping by today to say hello.
    I hope you have a great weekend,
    Char

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter absolutely loves her Kindle, but, for me, it just doesn't work. I think it's partly my learning style...I'm a tactile/kinesthetic (hands-on) learner, so I NEED to have the book in my hands. I tried using my daughter's, but it was more frustration to me than anything else. I hope the day never comes when books and magazines are totally taken over by the e-reader, because that will not bode well for me.

    By the way, I love magazines too...I subscribe to far too many. Southern Lady is my absolute fave, but I also enjoy Southern Living, Teatime, Victoria, and Celebrate.

    Have a wonderful weekend.

    Love,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a Kindle and love it for reading novels, etc. But, now I'm thinking about Nook. I had thought of an IPad, cannot justify the expense though, so you've given me a lovely idea here. Thank you for the Giada information...I love her too. xx's

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love books too. Nothing like curling up on a rainy day, under a blanket and flipping pages.
    However.. as you say, this is a fantastic idea for magazines and cookbooks! :)

    ((Hugs))
    laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've thought about a Kindle and my husband wants me to get an IPad, but they are so expensive. Thanks for this information. I am an avid reader also.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! Please note that if you don't see your comment immediately, it isn't lost. I have turned off the terrible word verification process, but to cut down on spam, I now have to approve all the comments.