Front door makeover reveal...


Finally! A few weeks ago, I posted about how we were going to give our front door and front step a makeover. Well, part one ~ the door ~ is finished. It’s gone from green to a lovely golden yellow.
One of the biggest challenges in redoing the front door was that the color of the door had to go with both the outside of the house and the interior, because the door stands open a large majority of the time. (The interior side of the door, which is wood, is simply stained a nice medium brown.)
As you can see in the photo below, the green really didn’t work with my pink living room ~ the shades simply weren’t compatible. The color also didn’t go with the rest of the interior. You can see the front door from a number of rooms in the house, and it was jarring to the eye.


Part of the inspiration for the door color came from this favorite chair of mine below ~ the golden suzani pattern really adds a lovely dimension to the living room and picks up the yellow accents in the dining room rug directly behind it.


Here’s the door before. Between the color and the old brass hardware, it really did need a makeover.


And here it is in various stages...




And here’s what it looks like finished and hung up. We still have to redo the door frame and repaint the glass door ~ the faded and worn white really looks shabby against the new paint. And we still have to refinish the step and railings, which we’re planning to do this weekend. The steps are going to be a lovely chocolatey color, which you can see below.



Here’s another shot of the refinished door, with new paint, a peephole instead of a knocker (we have a doorbell) and lovely new hardware. I woke Emily up from her nap taking photos. Oh well.


As you can see, the yellow looks so much better from the inside, too. It’s much warmer.


A couple shots of the rest of my pink living room...



The change in the door color also prompted me to change out some pillows on the sofa. I originally had pillows with much more pink in them, but after painting the door, I decided to use this pillow that has a touch of yellow and pink ~ it helps tie it all together.




And there you have it ~ my front door makeover. When we get the rest of the outside done, I’ll show you the completed project.

I am linking to:
Home and Garden Thursday at A Delightsome Life
Homemaking at Hope in Every Season
Home at Rose Chintz Cottage
Home Sweet Home at The Charm of Home
Pink Saturday at How Sweet the Sound
Make it Pretty Monday at The Dedicated House

Photos by The Art of Living Beautifully

Comments

  1. Your house is so lovely and the new color for your front door is so pretty. Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the yellow door, Eileen! It is a very close match to ours. Thanks for sharing at my HOME.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am such a fan of yellow, so I definitely like your door's new look!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that yellow door! And I love your pink walls! I work at Pier 1 and I see a lot of Pier 1 in your room. Don't you love the stuff from Pier 1. You'd never know it all came from the same place if you didn't work or shop there. It's all so eclectic! Love it. Love the shade of pink on the darker wall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! Yes, I do love Pier One. Two of the four chairs in my living room are from there, plus the fabulous floor lamp. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eileen, I love both of your blogs, but I have to say this one is so inspiring. I love to see all the beautiful changes you make to your home. I've been working on my pages a lot lately so I am adding favorite blogs back to my blogroll. Glad I stopped by today.
    Happy pinks!
    xoxo's

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Eileen, the yellow does bring together the colors in the chair and in the pillow, it adds to the soft colors in your home inside and out. I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great.
    Thank you for joining Home Sweet Home.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! Please note that if you don't see your comment immediately, it isn't lost. I have turned off the terrible word verification process, but to cut down on spam, I now have to approve all the comments.