Decorating for the season...


Photo credit: Matthew Benson/ From Country Living on delish.com


Photo credit: Matthew Benson/ From Country Living on delish.com

With autumn upon us and Halloween and Thanksgiving on the way, it's a great time to enjoy a little of nature's bounty in your decorating. So many of the season's offerings lend themselves to creating beautiful decorations. A few years ago, I dressed my front door just like the one in the top picture, making good use of corn stalks left in the field and some pumpkins from our local pumpkin patch. You can always carve jack-o-lanterns for Halloween and replace them with whole pumpkins later. Or, if your pocketbook doesn't stretch that far, don't carve the pumpkins and they'll work for both Halloween and Thanksgiving. Greenery and mums can be put to good use in the fall as well - and the greenery might last you through Christmas, depending on the temperatures where you live. Consider hosting a last event outside, if your weather allows. It's a great way to enjoy the scenery of the season, especially if you spice it up a little with some fall flowers and pumpkins. Keep the menu simple and seasonal and be sure to serve something hot to drink. For some additional inspiration on autumn decorating, check out this article from County Living on delish.com (which is a great Web site by the way, full of cooking and home ideas). Click here for the article.


Photo credit: James Baigrie/ From Good Housekeeping on delish.com

If outside decorating isn't really practical for you, there are still plenty of simple ways you can enjoy the beauty of the season indoors. I particularly like some of the ideas I found on decorating with non-carved pumpkins in this article from Good Housekeeping on delish.com. Little pumpkins or gourds can work better than regular-sized pumpkins in some instances. Get a pretty table runner or placemat, some candles and a few mini-pumpkins or gourds and you can create a beautiful centerpiece in minutes. If you're feeling particularly creative, you can even turn the pumpkins into candleholders, as the picture above shows. A really cute idea is illustrated below - I think this would be great for some of those pumpkins or gourds that aren't necessarily the greatest looking and you can buy cheaper. You can glue little pieces of ribbon around them and pile them in a bowl or dish - isn't that a really cute way to add a little beauty to your home?


Photo credit: James Baigrie/ From Good Housekeeping on delish.com

There are other ways you can bring a little of the season into your home as well. Oranges, reds and mossy greens are wonderful colors and particularly appropriate for this time of year. Maybe you can haul out those old dark dishes that don't really work the rest of the year, but would be perfect this fall when paired with some orange napkins and new funky glasses. Or perhaps clean off surfaces and create a few pretty tablescapes using candles, fall flowers or seasonal potpourri. Put away the light colors and things with a summer feel. Pull out the blankets and lay one across the arm of the sofa or a favorite chair to encourage snuggling and naps. Change out your pillows, exchange sheers for drapes and put down a dark-colored rug. Fill a jug with branches and set it by the fireplace. All little things, but doing just a few will usher the season into your home in style. And you will get the pleasure of being surrounded by something new and beautiful as the days work their way into winter.

Comments

  1. wonderful post! these pictures are inspiring and make me want to start all over with mine!

    btw, stop by my blog later tonight or tomorrow for your blog award! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post!Those photos are so inspiring. I love to come here and look at the wonderful pictures and be transported by your beautiful writing. Hope you are well my friend. Lots of Love, Rowena

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that second picture! I'm still working on my Fall decor!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thx!!!! For so many great ideas!!!!!

    m ^..^

    ReplyDelete
  5. All so lovely and inspiring! I'm loving the cooler weather and it was great to see rain after months of no rain. It's really getting me in the holiday mood and this post has given me tons of ideas. Thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely inspiration photos! I used cornstalks on my front pillars one year and really loved the look of them. Unfortunately the squirrels and chipmunks loved them too! What a mess!

    Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many great decorating ideas! Thanks for sharing! I am thinking of trying the ribboned little pumpkins. I enjoy your blog and have a link to it on my page and wondered if you might do the same for me?
    Blessings!
    Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for all of the wonderful ideas and for researching such inspiring photos!

    Enjoy your evening!
    Leann

    ReplyDelete
  9. I swear I wish I lived in the USA so I could go all crazy with Halloween. It's hard to find stuff here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love all of your Fall photos! Gives me some great ideas. I haven't decorated quite yet... Perhpas the beginning of October. Fall is my favorite time of year. It's so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! Please note that if you don't see your comment immediately, it isn't lost. I have turned off the terrible word verification process, but to cut down on spam, I now have to approve all the comments.