Current state of being...


Do you ever go through spells of discontent? Where nothing is really wrong but things aren’t quite right, either? That seems to describe me lately, though for the life of me I can’t really pinpoint why. I am too busy at work, and a bit bored and frustrated if I’m honest. I also can’t seem to get out of my own way with my projects around the house. I didn’t even fully decorate for Christmas this past year, opting instead for a Christmas-lite holiday. I seem to have stopped doing many of the things I love because I can’t find the energy to do them, which only leads to more discontent.
I’m clearly not starting the year off on the right foot.
So I’ve been taking stock the last couple of weeks, trying to figure out what I need to do differently. I am going to refocus on my projects and my house and blogging – all things that give me pleasure. And I’m going to quit paying so much attention to the frustration and discontent and let it slide away. It feels a bit like a self-fulfilling prophecy when I dwell on it as I have here lately.
In my taking stock, I took a look around and a few things stuck out at me. One, I do so love my living room – it is like my little cocoon of peace and creativity. Right now it is overflowing with books vying for my attention. And I am absolutely thrilled with my new living room drapes – heavy velvet for the winter. Here’s a sneak peek – I’ll share more photos later.


And then there is Emily, who melts my heart with her sweet little soul. She is beyond adorable and such a little fighter. I have never had a dog with such persistence – she has been battling congestive heart failure and IBD for more than a year now but has not lost her sweet spirit and general happy-go-lucky attitude. She has already outlived her prognosis and though she has her bad days, her good days still outnumber them. My wish is that she live a happy life as long as she can ~ her presence just lifts my spirits.



This weekend I am planning to finish painting the bathroom (a project I started like three months ago) and move a few things into the attic. I also want to do a little bit of rearranging. Getting those things done will help me feel better ~ putting things in order always does.

Photos by The Art of Living Beautifully








Comments