Simple shortbread cookies...


Scrolling through Pinterest yesterday, I came across this recipe for shortbread cookies. It looked good, so I thought I would try it. I made a few slight modifications to the recipe ~ for example, I used blackberry preserves instead of raspberry jam, added a tiny bit more almond extract, and I had to bake my cookies slightly longer. I also omitted a glaze the original recipe called for ~ I just didn’t think it was necessary.

The cookies turned out great and were quite a hit so I thought I would share my version below. The original recipe can be found here.

Just a quick note ~ while these cookies mix together quickly, they do require about an hour in the fridge to chill, so be sure to allow for that in your planning.

Almond Shortbread Cookies

1 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup granulated sugar
3/4 teaspoon almond extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup seedless red raspberry jam (or blackberry or strawberry ~ whatever you prefer)
sugar for sprinkling


Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a medium bowl, beat butter at medium speed for about 30 seconds. Add the the 2/3 cup granulated sugar and almond extract. Beat until well combined. Beat in as much flour as you can with an electric mixer; if necessary, use a wooden spoon stir in any remaining flour. Dough will be crumbly; cover and chill for 1 hour or until dough is easy to handle.

Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place balls about 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Using your thumb, press an indentation into the center of each ball. Spoon about 1/2 teaspoon of the jam into each indentation and then sprinkle with sugar. Bake about 10-12 minutes or until edges are light brown (note – depending on how big your dough balls are, it might require more baking time). Cool on cookie sheets for 1 minute. Transfer cookies to wire racks to finish cooling.

Makes about 3 dozen.

Wishing all of you a lovely week...

Photo by The Art of Living Beautifully

Comments

  1. Eileen, These look like melt-in-your mouth delicious cookies! Have a bite for me too?

    Happy Holidays...and all the best for the New Year!

    Brenda
    xox

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! Please note that if you don't see your comment immediately, it isn't lost. I have turned off the terrible word verification process, but to cut down on spam, I now have to approve all the comments.