The Wall of Women...



Isn't it fabulous when "someday" finally arrives?
About five years ago, I started collecting portraits of women from local artists on Etsy. I didn't have anything particular in mind other than I was drawn to them, particularly the work of Janet Hill, which you can see in the bottom row. After three years of collecting, I decided to start framing them. Even though they were framed at different times, I kept to the same color scheme in choosing frames. I have this long, 18-foot, uninterrupted wall in my living room and I thought it would be perfect to display all of these portraits when we moved back to the Carolinas "someday." I dubbed it the Wall of Women and after several years of preparation, I finally got the last piece back from the framer last week (the one directly below) and was able to hang them.
The wall doesn't contain my entire collection; some are hanging in other parts of my living room. Eventually this wall will be wallpapered ~ I've always treated it as an accent wall ~ but for now it's painted a darker pink than the rest of the room. The art takes up a good portion of the wall, which is just what I wanted. I'm really happy with how it turned out. What do you think?



I am linking to Pink Saturday at How Sweet the Sound.

Photos by The Art of Living Beautifully

Comments

  1. Oh how nice. I love your wall of women. Great idea.

    Following you gfc

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you have a Wall of Women. You might have started a trend here. Beautiful!!
    Happy Pink Saturday!
    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Inspired as well as inspiring! Happy Pink Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE it ! I used to have a wall of vintage floral prints but I think a wall of women is much better ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Come and join my party Color Connection, it is also my PINK entry. I hope you join the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eileen, What a fabulous art gallery! I love the theme you chose and that you started collecting and saving your treasure, only to unveil them all together. Happy Pink Saturday. ~Marti

    ReplyDelete
  7. the pink wall sure complements the paintings there.....and your shitzu is precious....I have one too..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a pretty wall!

    Visiting for PS- hope you can stop by..

    http://www.sweetposh.info/2012/07/pink-plastic-leaves.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful idea! You have created a beautiful wall!

    I recommend you check out the "National Museum of Women in Art" in D.C. (I may not have quoted the name exactly right). You can google it and check out their website. I learned so much about women artists when I visited it. For example: most women artists in the Renaissance signed their art with a man's name. You will also enjoy the book, "The Girl in Hyacinth Blue", based on a true story.
    Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your wall! What a happy thing to have a vision come to life! I have a wall of original art work I've collected while traveling. I did the same thing as you in keeping the frames all the same color so they look like a set. Your idea is so unique and wonderful!
    Have a great weekend,
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  11. A wall of special women that hold amazing qualities all in a photo. Love your site.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is very lovely! I love all the different photos you had framed! It is quite charming! Thank you for sharing! Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! Please note that if you don't see your comment immediately, it isn't lost. I have turned off the terrible word verification process, but to cut down on spam, I now have to approve all the comments.