Kitchen updates...



My kitchen has been in need of a little help here of late, mostly thanks to my aging dogs. We have hardwood floors in the kitchen and throughout the house, which I love, so I use quite a few area rugs to help define spaces. I had, until this past weekend, a lovely 8x10 rug with lots of reds and blues in the middle of the main part of the kitchen. Our kitchen is huge ~ it seriously is as big as our living and dining room put together ~ so it needed something to sort of ground it and make it feel not quite so cavernous, especially as we also have a breakfast area, which almost seems to be its own little room, as you can see above and below. The rug, which I had acquired some time ago, worked beautifully, especially as I love red in the kitchen.
Unfortunately, as my dogs age (one is going on 14, another 12), they seem to have the occasional problem with making it outside and for some reason, the kitchen rug seemed to be ground zero. One accident too many and it was time for the rug to go. I figured it probably wasn't worth it to replace the rug since my dogs would probably do the same thing again, but the kitchen needed a little something, so I found a couple small, colorful rugs at TJ Maxx ~ the rooster one above and the fruit one below. The rooster is in front of some cabinets and the fruit one in front of the refrigerator. Between the two, they add a little fun and color, without being prime targets for the dogs. I figure that's as good as it's going to get for now.
Since I switched out the rugs, I figured I might as well do a few more updates. We had already moved the breakfast table and put in a bookshelf to accommodate all (OK, most) of my cookbooks. I hung the dish fabric canvas on the opposite wall, changed the tablecloth, put a big bowl on the table and filled it with fruit and presto ~ an easy, quick kitchen update. Since I have been making other seasonal changes in the house, it was nice to give the kitchen a little bit of a lift, too.
Come back later this week to see the change in seasons in my other rooms.



Photos by The Pink Home

Comments

  1. I am SO jealous!!!!!! *angry eyes*

    When we bought the house that we live in now, we only had the two oldest boys and they were only 3 & 4 years old-small. :)
    Our kitchen at the time, was perfect. Small but still eat in.
    Now with 4 growing kids (those oldest 2 now 16 &17 and both over 6 feet tall), my kitchen drives me insane!!! I wish, almost more than anything, that I had a huge kitchen.

    I love those two rugs you bought. They are really cute I love your bookcase, your tablecloth, the bowl with the fruit AND those lovely french doors leading off somewhere wonderful I assume.

    Yes, I'm jealous. :)

    ((Hugs))
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love TJ Maxx and you found two great rugs. Accomodating our aging pets is necessary so sometimes the pretty things have to go. I'm enjoying your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Gorgeous!

    I would love to have a kitchen the size of yours...your new rugs are perfect! Give your two fur babies a hug for me and thank you for your sweet words about my dear Toby.

    Love and hugs,
    Karyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there, I just happened to stumble upon your blog in search of kitchen rugs. May I ask what brand your rugs are? They're beautiful!

    Thank you!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! Please note that if you don't see your comment immediately, it isn't lost. I have turned off the terrible word verification process, but to cut down on spam, I now have to approve all the comments.