Beauty on Etsy... Cottage by The Pond

All photos courtesy of Cottage by The Pond

For the latest installment in my Beauty on Etsy series, featuring Etsy shops I adore, I'd like to introduce you to a talented mother-daughter creative team, Diane and Holly Knott. Their work includes everything from beautiful bags and scarves and handmade home items to sewing patterns and jewelry. I am particularly fond of one of their newest creations - pincushions/lavender sachets. I bought one from their Etsy shop, Cottage by The Pond, and it arrived yesterday. It is beautiful ~ a true work of art ~ and it smells heavenly. I will be using it to display some of my grandmother's vintage pins (all I have to do is remember where I put them). So, without further ado...

Name of Etsy shop: Cottage by The Pond

Etsy shop URL: http://www.etsy.com/shop/cottagebythepond

Blog name and URL: Diane Knott's Musings
and Finger Lakes Art

Briefly describe what browsers and buyers will find in your Etsy shop:
From my studio (Diane's) they'll find hand-sewn pillows using vintage fabrics, laces and trims and unique embellishments; wall hangings, artwork, fiber jewelry made with vintage and unique materials, as well as sewing patterns I have designed.
And from mine (Holly’s), they’ll find one-of-a-kind handbags, tote bags, wristlets, scarves for both cold and warm weather, small contemporary art quilts (mostly landscapes and nature scenes), and greeting cards of the quilts. Together, Mom (Diane) and I are creating a line of sewing patterns that include items like scarves, bags, wallhangings, table runners, etc. Easy to make, lots of raw edge appliqué. Great for beginners and advanced stitchers alike.


What inspires you to create?
Diane: I can't be idle. I'm not a TV watcher, would much rather have a project or a paintbrush in my hands. I just can't help it. I've always been motivated to be productive and creative; studied art in college and have always earned my living with my creations, whether 3D or by my paintings.
Holly: Nature, and the amazing fabrics available today! I really enjoy photographing nature, and then turning my photos into either landscape art quilts or pairing together fabrics on my bags and scarves that remind me of the seasons, or have leaves appliquéd on them. I even print some of my photographs directly onto fabric and incorporate them into some of my products. I love the four seasons and all the different colors and sights they bring to us.

What would you like others to know about your work? Is there a particular philosophy you follow?
Diane: I like to reuse and recycle and create with things that have been loved, used and probably handmade by other women in the past. I have a love for old things of all kinds, fiber, wood, tin, etc. I'm a collector. I'm afraid once bitten I can't stop! I hope that everyone who likes my work sees the value in things from the past being used again and passed on for future generations to enjoy. In my paintings, I try to paint subjects that make people feel good, homey things, the kinds of things that give comfort. I'm not into art with a political message. I just want to make people's eyes happy and make them smile.
Holly: No hidden meanings in my work. I often use hand-dyed fabric (some dyed by me, some dyed by others and purchased by me), and I often cut free-form and don’t measure or follow any patterns. I don’t like to make the same item twice, so when you purchase anything made by me, unless otherwise noted, it’s all unique and one-of-a-kind. As Mom said above, I like people to feel good when they view my work; nothing political or angry in it, no statements.

Anything else you’d like us to know about you and your work?
Diane: That I love creating! It's important for me to leave something of myself behind when I'm gone from this Earth, and to feel that while I'm here I'm using the gifts and talents that God has given me.

Comments

  1. Bonjour Bellea,

    This is such a great idea. Interesting interview - I will head over to see their shop now!
    Hope all is going well for you!
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course you KNOW I went over. They have got some very lovely things! I actually saw something that I may purchase for my Mother!
    Thanks for doing the feature on these wonderfully creative women!

    ((Hugs))
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. THanks for your sweet comment today.. I hope you are having a great week..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations to Diane & Holly for this wonderful feature! :)

    This is my first visit to your blog - I'll be back to visit again!

    Hugs,
    Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  5. a well deserved feature on Diane and Holly. I love the patterned background on your blog - will you share it's origin or source?

    Thanks so much

    Terri Conrad
    http://www.terriconraddesigns.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your interviews are always a pleasure to read. Thanks for highlighting this shop. I hope you have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderfull interview, with Diane and Holly,
    they are wonderfull people, with such talented hands.
    Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful interview. I love the work done by Diane and Holly. Great talents.

    I am new to your blog and I am going to follow you so I can come back often.

    If you get a chance stop by my place and say hello.

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cottage by the Pond is such a great name! I'll have to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, everyone, for your wonderful comments! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! Please note that if you don't see your comment immediately, it isn't lost. I have turned off the terrible word verification process, but to cut down on spam, I now have to approve all the comments.