Kitchen experiment: Homemade applesauce


A few days ago, I found myself with about a half-dozen Granny Smith apples that needed to be used before they went bad. Normally if I find myself with a bunch of extra apples, I will make an apple coffee cake that is soooo good willpower withers in its presence. But I wasn't in the mood for cake (or rather, the calories that come with it), so instead I thought I'd make applesauce.
Then I wondered if you could make applesauce with Granny Smith apples. I know they are great for baking and eating, but I'm sketchy on other uses - so I called my grandmother, who is known for her delicious applesauce and jams. Good thing, because then I realized I didn't have an apple grinder, either. Not to worry, my grandmother said, you'll just have chunky applesauce instead. Sounded OK to me, so I got instructions from her and went to work.

I peeled and cored my apples.

I put them all in a saucepan, with just a little bit of water, as my grandmother stressed. Too much and they taste watery, she said.

I mashed the apples with a handmasher and stirred them well as they cooked down. Then, I added sugar and spices.

And before I knew it, I had homemade applesauce for dinner. It was absolutely delicious, too, if I do say so myself. It was surprisingly easy, so I thought I'd share the recipe. Enjoy.

Chunky Applesauce
Serves about 4
5 or 6 Granny Smith apples
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
(Spices and sugar can be adjusted to taste.)

Peel and core apples. Chop finely. Put apples in saucepan with just a little water - enough to keep them from burning. Bring to a boil, stirring often. Once apples are soft, remove from heat and drain. Put apples back in pan and mash with masher. Turn heat back on and cook down a little more, stirring often. Add sugar gradually and stir. Add cinnamon and nutmeg and stir well. Cook another minute or two and mash further, if desired. Remove from heat, stir and cover, letting applesauce rest for a few minutes before serving (if serving warm). Otherwise, leave covered to cool to room temperature and then refrigerate.

Comments

  1. Hello, hello - sorry I haven't got back to you yet! My trip to Paris wasn't planned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delicious! And, you did such a nice job of photographing each step. Very pretty post. I also loved your butterfly napkins yesterday, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum! I would have never even thought to make applesauce :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love homemade apple sauce and your directions are so good that anyone could follow along and make it. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum-o, that looks awesome! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post, your photos look good. This looks delicious.
    Have a marvelous week,
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! Please note that if you don't see your comment immediately, it isn't lost. I have turned off the terrible word verification process, but to cut down on spam, I now have to approve all the comments.