For the love of pumpkin...


One of my favorite things about autumn is the abundance of pumpkin treats. Pumpkin bread, pumpkin cake, pumpkin pie, pumpkin cookies... you get the idea. Though I often associate pumpkin pie only with Thanksgiving (and sometimes Christmas), once October gets going I have a craving for pumpkin cookies and bread. Country Living has a great article on pumpkin dessert (and breakfast) recipes if you're interested. Click here for the article.
My family has a great pumpkin bread recipe that's been passed around and down, and every time I make it, my co-workers, friends, etc., go nuts for it. The only thing is you must bake it in coffee cans (3 per batch, as a matter of fact). Now I know that sounds odd and you're probably thinking, well, I can use a regular loaf pan or a bundt pan. You can, but the texture isn't as good (I know this from personal experience). Baked in the coffee cans - and yes, I know they are hard to find these days - the bread (which is really more of a dessert type item, or great with tea or coffee) is perfectly moist and absolutely addicting. In a regular baking pan, it can come out just a little dry and there's something slightly different in the texture. It's still good, mind you, but not as good. The recipe is at the bottom of this post - my gift to you this autumn.
If you're wondering what pumpkin recipes have to do with beauty, there is a relation. Or rather, there is a relation between cooking and baking and beauty, not necessarily pumpkin recipes in particular. Surrounding yourself with beauty, I believe, means more than just appealing to your eyes. Anyone who has partaken of a perfect dinner or dish or dessert will agree that enjoying delicious food is a beautiful experience because it nourishes both body and soul. When you create something wonderful in the kitchen, you are bringing a little more beauty and love into the world. And remember, that wonderful creation will taste even better served from beautiful dishes.

Pumpkin Bread

4 eggs
3 cups sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup oil
1 cup pumpkin
2/3 cup water
3 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda

Mix starting from the top and continue down. Grease and flour three 1 lb. coffee cans. Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes to one hour. Test with broom stick or long tester.

I've found it's best to make the bread the day before you plan to eat it. After it cools, you can remove the bread from the cans and keep it wrapped in aluminum foil. When serving, I usually cut the slices in half. Serve with cream cheese slightly softened for spreading on top, if desired. (It's bliss.) This bread makes a great dessert, or a perfect treat with your coffee or hot tea. It also freezes well.
Bon appetit.

Comments

  1. Oh! Yummy! Those pumpkin treats look so wonderful, thanks for sharing your recipe! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How gorgeous. I've never made pumpkin bread. It's breakfast time here and I would love a slice with my mug of coffee.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg, yum!!! this sounds so intriguing! thank you for sharing with us :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh My God. For linking me to that pumpkin recipe I will forever will in your debt. I LOVE PUMPKIN. Pumpkin bread, especially. I wait all year long for fall so I can eat pumpkin treats! Yum, yum, yum. Can't wait to try some of these recipes. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love pumpkin bread with coffee. Your recipe sounds wonderful and I will be trying it. Thank you for sharing.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sweet Friend!

    I missed you and your lovely blog! I'm loving this post and I too love pumkin treats. Can't wait to try this recipe! I cpame home to crisp cool weather and I just want to pull out all of my baking supplies and bake up lots of goodies.

    Hope your doing well and I love the picture of your dog taking a nap!

    Big Hugs,
    Karyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those cup cakes look so good. I just love punpkin bread. Blessings to you, Martha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing your recipe. I will give it a try. My mother used to bake breads in cans and give them as gifts at Christmas. You may not know this, but I have a link to you on my page... you are under my fave blogs.
    Blessings!
    Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Even though it's not fall here I am so tempted to try this! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a very Yummy Post... I too love any thing Pumpkin and your recipe sounds wonderful, I will have to write it down so I can make some.. mmm mmm good... Have a wonderful week.

    Hugs;
    Alaura

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! Please note that if you don't see your comment immediately, it isn't lost. I have turned off the terrible word verification process, but to cut down on spam, I now have to approve all the comments.